UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE


Monday, April 14, 2008

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING

So you did a write-up about Baju Kurung and some “hawker food” criticized you. Well, constructive criticisms help one to improve. Looks like you have turned the critic into an ally, good for you.

Anyway, I have got a thing or two to say about this mystery of non-Malays wearing a Baju Kurung. I call it a “mystery” because it does raise eyebrows and questions. I do not know why, but I suspect the culprit is hypocrisy! Let’s examine the attire in a typical Malaysian home. I cannot speak for others. I am a Malaysian of Chinese ancestry.

Most of my friends, like me, are usually dressed in slacks and shirts when at work. Very grudgingly, on formal occasions, we would put on a suit. Not all, some people I know, non-Malays, Indians included, go to bed in a sarong! I do too! Malay ladies and children of the female sex in “cheongsam” is such a common sight in Malaysia. Even both UMNO and PAS have not seen fit to make that an issue! So, what’s with you xxxholes?

A question I pose to the Malaysians of Chinese ancestry; “How many traditional Chinese attire do you posses and how many times have you worn it? Me? I have never in my life owned or worn traditional Chinese attire. The only thing Chinese about me is probably the flat nose and the straight hair! But as they say, “the only thing straight about the Chinese is their hair”. Let’s face it, the majority of Malaysians are attired in western clothing more often than not. Accept the reality and do not be a BIGOT! Having said that, I confess, I do love Archie Bunker!

Come on people, after 50 years of BN oppression it is time to move forward. Be magnanimous; allow old wounds to heal and stop bitching about issues that cannot be undone, let alone trivial stuff like Baju Kurung. You want a democracy, you want to live free and in peace, why are you bothering non-Malays in Baju Kurung? RACIST CHAUVINISTIC PIGS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose for Bangsa Malaysia to take place, we Malaysians have to travel more. We don't have to go far, we just have to go to East Malaysia and see how our brothers and sisters live over there. There is so much to learn....

TwoToner said...

I know it's easier said than done, but we got to start somewhere, sometime, right?