UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE


Thursday, June 26, 2008

JUDICIAL MISCONDUCT


I am no fan of Tun Mamak, but I have no choice but to concur with him when he says that those sacked judges were bribed to speak ill of him.

I used to sympathize with them and felt that justice in Malaysia died when Tun Salleh was removed and some of the senior judges sacked. Twenty years later came this circus and it completely changed my views on the tragedy. At first, I was quite happy to hear of Zaid’s proposal, thinking it was good that attempts are being made to right the wrongs of the past administration. However, the way it was done has left me a very disappointed man. Disappointed the way the exercise was carried out, disappointed with the parties concerned, and now very convinced it’s a giant attempt by the government, the Bar Council and the aggrieved parties to insult our intelligence.

No amount of ex gratia payments can be considered adequate unless accompanied with apologies. If I have been wronged, I would expect nothing less than an official apology. The aggrieved parties acceptance of the ex-gratia payments without apologies actually surprised me.

It may be true that the mamak had misbehaved and threatened/bullied the Bench. However, it is true that these judges started to bad mouth him AFTER receiving the payments. The bottom line is, NO APOLOGIES WERE OFFERRED BY THIS GOVERNMENT!

So, it is obvious that this administration is no better than the last one.

No comments: